Jack Wurgaft, certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Lawyer, limits his practice to complex civil litigation, medical malpractice, products liability (MDL) and construction site accidents. He has been honored as a Super Lawyer (Top 100), Law Dragon’s 500 Leading Plaintiffs Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers in America, and Professional Lawyer of the Year. He is past President of ABOTA-Northern New Jersey, a member of its National Board, a member of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers (IATL), American Association of Justice (AAJ), and a Master in the Richard J. Hughes American Inn of Court. He is a frequent lecturer for AAJ, the Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) and the Judicial College. His verdicts and settlements include: $16.3 million (school negligence), $6.6 million (birth injury), $4 million (wrongful birth), $2.5 million (automotive product design), and $2.6 million (trucking/ICC). Mr. Wurgaft received his B.A. from Rutgers University, his Juris Doctor from New York Law School where he was Note and Comment Editor of the New York Law School Law Review and his LL.M from New York University Law School.
- Rutgers University, 1965 B.A.
- New York Law School, 1968 J.D.
- New York University, 1974 L.L.M
- New Jersey State Bar
- U.S. District Court for New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- TANJ Trial Bar Award
- Essex County Bar Association Civil Attorney Award
- 2016 NJAJ Gerald B. O’Connor Award recipient
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America since 2007
- April, 2010, inducted as Fellow in International Academy of Trial Attorneys in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Professional Lawyer of the Year Award from the New Jersey Commission on Professionalism, 2005
- Top 100 Super Lawyers in New Jersey as featured in New Jersey Monthly
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Essex County Bar Association, Bench-Bar Committee
- Union County Bar Association, Bench-Bar Committee
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Past President and Senior Life Fellow
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America-New Jersey Chapter
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Richard J. Hughes Inns of Court, Master
- Essex County Bar Association, Chairman, Professionalism Committee
- Union County Bar Association, Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointments Committee (JPAC)
- Speaker, Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County Masters of Trial Advocacy Retreat, October 1st to October 3rd, 2014
- Speaker, NJ Institute for Continuing Legal Education -Civil case law seminar, 2009 – 2019
- Speaker, New Jersey State Bar Association, “Civility Matters” Atlantic City, 2010
- Speaker, NJ State Bar Assn, Ethics and Civility, May 20, 2010
- Speaker, NJAJ Educational Foundation, Direct of Plaintiff’s expert in a Shoulder Dystocia Cases, November 12, 2009
- Speaker, NJAJ Educational Foundation – Wrongful Birth Cases, May 2, 2008
- Speaker, “More Powerful Opening and Closing Arguments,” Institute for Continuing Education (ICLE), March 2007
- Panelist, “The 2006-2007 New Jersey Civil Case Law Update,” Institute of Continuing Legal Education, February 2007
- Speaker, “Law Firm Profitability,” Essex County Bar Association Trial Attorneys of New Jersey & Union County Bar Association, April 2006
- Speaker, “More Powerful Opening and Closing Arguments,” Institute for Continuing Education (ICLE), February 2004
- “Jurisdiction-Long Arm Statute-Separation Agreement of Non-Domiciliary Made in New York Constituted Doing Business,” 12 N.Y.L.F. 136, 1966
- Evidence-Voiceprint Method of Identification-Reluctance of the Courts Toward Acceptance of Scientific Evidence,” 12 N.Y.L.F. 501, 1966
ast Trustee of Partners for Women and Justice, a non-profit organization providing pro bono legal representation to victims of domestic violence. Jack Wurgaft was honored by PFWJ in May, 2019 with the Partner in Hope Award.