Mitchell Rait has represented employers and employees in all areas of labor and employment law for over thirty years. He has handled all types of employment matters, including claims of discrimination, sexual harassment, breach of contract and whistleblower litigation. He has litigated employment law related matters before federal and state courts as well as before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights, and the Office of Administrative Law. Mr. Rait began his career practicing labor, employment and benefits law on behalf of management handling union negotiations and elections, NLRB elections, wrongful discharge and employment discrimination cases. Today, he advises both corporate clients and individuals regarding employment terminations, sexual harassment, employment contracts, and restrictive covenants.
Mr. Rait serves as Executive Director of the Firm, overseeing the day-to-day operations of finance, human resources, marketing, and facilities. He is responsible for the Firm’s business development activities including seminars, newsletters, public relations and community engagement.
Martindale-Hubbell recognizes him as an AV® rated attorney, the highest such rating available to any individual lawyer. The Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings system is based on the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Mr. Rait was elected a “Super Lawyer” in 2005.
- New York University, Stern School of Business, 1984 B.S.
- St. John’s University School of Law, 1987 J.D.
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Pennsylvania State Bar
- Highest rating (A-V) from Martindale-Hubbell for legal competence and ethical integrity
- Super Lawyer in New Jersey in the Employment Litigation category by Law & Politic, as published in New Jersey Monthly Magazine, 2005
- Recipient, Essex County Bar Association’s Bernard J. Kuttner Pro Bono Service Award.
- Commissioner and Founder, New Jersey Lawyers Basketball League
- Author, New Jersey Supreme Court Clarifies Sexual Harassment Law, Employment Law Advisor
- News 12 TV “New Jersey Business” with Marlene Waldock, “The Business of Law”
- Author, Company Holiday Parties: a Breeding Ground for Sexual Harassment, Employment Law Advisor
- Author, Creating and Marketing a Mediation Practice Group, Marketing for Lawyers
- French-American Chamber of Commerce, New York Chapter, Current Issues in Labor and Employment Law
- Florida Bar Association Family Law Section, Marketing Your Law Practice
- National Law Firm Marketing Association, Law Firm Marketing in the Next Millennium: How Will We Be Profitable?
- Author, Social Security “No Match” Letters, Employment Law Advisor
- American Association for Affirmative Action, Region II Conference, Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
- Author (with Deborah Brightman Farone), Getting the Most from a Marketing Director, New York Law Journal
Covenant House, Board of Trustees and Legal Counsel
Children’s Specialized Hospital Foundation, Board of Trustees
Millburn – Short Hills Chamber of Commerce, Past-President
Huntington’s Disease Society of New Jersey, Corporate & Professional Advisory Committee
New Jersey State Bar Association, Member, Labor and Employment Law Section; Law Office Management Section
Essex County Bar Association, Board of Trustees
Association of Legal Administrators, Board of Trustees, New Jersey Chapter; Member, New York Chapter
Legal Marketing Association, Past-President, New York Chapter
Marketing For Lawyers, Published by American Lawyer Media, Editorial Board Member